Australian 3 Month Tourist Visa (Australia ETA Visa)

Information about Australian 3 Month Tourist Visa (Australia ETA Visa) and how to apply

An ETA visa allows multiple visits to Australia for the purpose of tourism for periods of up to 3 months at a time. It is valid for 12 months from the date you first enter. You may study / train for up to 3 months. This is the most common type of holiday visa for Australia

Application Fee


Australian ETA Tourist Visa Application

If you intend to visit Australia for a holiday, you will have to apply for an Australian Tourist Visa. Eligible citizens, of participating countries, may apply electronically.

Australian Tourist Visa time line

With an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) visa, most applications are dealt with in less than 24 hours. However, a random sample are scrutinised further. The application is then classed as “In Progress”and is usually finalised within about 2-4 working days without further information being requested.

If, however, further supporting information is requested, this obviously delays a decision on the application, until Australian Immigration are satisfied the applicant meets the criteria.

Australian Tourist Visa Eligibility

To obtain an e-visa you must be outside of Australia, and hold a current and qualified passport from the list list of ETA-Eligible countries

Please Note: If your country of citizenship and passport is not listed, you will not be able to apply online as above. For more information and to how apply if your country of passport / citizenship doesn’t appear on the authorised list, see our section on Australian Tourist Visa Applications for non-ETA-eligible countries

What does the 3-month Tourist Visa allow?

The 3-month Australian electronic tourist travel visa, when granted,

  • will allow for stays of up to 3 months (90 Days) for the purpose tourism / holidays.
  • will allow multiple entries (of up to 3 months each) for a period of 12 months from the issue date of the visa. For longer stays, consider the Australian 6 Month Tourist Visa or the Australian 12 month Tourist Visa
  • will allow you to study or train whilst in Australia for a maximum of 3 months in total
  • will NOT allow you to work whilst in Australia but some forms of voluntary / charity participation is permitted. If you wish to work, then see the options for Australian work visas
  • will NOT allow any business-related activities. This includes
      • attending business meetings,
      • meetings with potential partners or customers, or
      • conduct other business-related activities and
      • attend seminars.
        If your travel is for business purposes, you need to apply for an Australian Business Visa

Your Australian 3-month Tourist Visa is linked to your passport

You must have 6 months or more remaining on your passport on the day of exit from Australia.
The Australian electronic tourist travel visa is attached to the passport that you used for the electronic application, If, for whatever reason, you renew or replace your passport, you will be required to re-apply for a new Australian electronic tourist travel visa.

Australian Tourist Visas for stays longer than 3 months

Should you plan on visiting Australia for an extended stay (longer than 90 days), or you intend to study, you will need a  long stay Australian tourist visa.

You will NOT be able to apply for an Australian ETA Visa if you have Criminal convictions

If you have a criminal record, you will not be able to apply for a visa using this electronic method. However, you may still be able to apply for an Australian Tourist Visa if you have criminal convictions

What are the conditions of the ETA?

Visitors to Australia must be willing and able to abide by the visa validity and conditions while in Australia. If you do not abide by these conditions, your visa may be cancelled or you may be subject to other penalties.

  • You must not work whilst in Australia. Limited volunteer work may be acceptable;
  • You must not engage in any studies or training for more than three months;
  • If you are at least 11 years of age and you intend to study in a class-room environment for a period greater than 4 weeks, you may be required to pass a chest x-ray examination before commencing your studies;
  • You must be free from tuberculosis at the time of travel to, and entry into, Australia;
  • The holder must depart within the validity of the Visitor Visa (ETA); AND
  • If arriving on an ETA with criminal convictions, you could be refused entry into Australia.

Visa Details

Country to which the visa applies


Criminal Convictions

No Criminal Convictions

Valid for stay up to

up to 3 months


holiday / tourism / visiting


*Other, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong (SAR), Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Norway, Portugal, Republic of San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (resident in and applying in Taiwan), The Netherland, United Kingdom – BNO (applying via travel agent), United Kingdom – British Citizen, United States of America, Vatican City

Study / Training Permitted

up to 3 months

Work / Employment Permitted


ETA Eligible Countries

Passport holders from these countries may apply for an ETA (electronic) visa

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong (SAR)
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Republic of San Marino
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan*
  • United Kingdom – British Citizen
  • United Kingdom – British National**
  • United States of America
  • Vatican City

* Taiwan passports can only be processed for an Australian electronic tourist travel visa if resident in and applying in Taiwan.
** Holders of UK passports which indicate their nationality to be British National (Overseas) (BNO) can be processed for an Australian electronic tourist visa if applying via a travel agent, airline, or at an office of the department. BNO passport holders cannot apply for their Australian electronic tourist travel visa online. For more information contact our offices.

If your country is NOT listed

If your country is not listed above, you will not be able to use the online ETA system to apply for your visa. However, you may still be able to apply.

Criminal Convictions?

Australia has very strict rules regarding granting visas to individuals with Criminal convictions.  You certainly can’t use the standard visitor visa applications.

There are bound to be some delays, and additional costs, but you may still be eligible

Click to find out more






























Australian 3 Month Tourist Visa (Australia ETA Visa)

Ready to start your visa application?


Do you need assistance in selecting the right visa for you?

Scroll to Top