Australian 12 Month Tourist Visa: Application
Australia is a huge country, and it takes a while to see everything. A 12 month tourist / holiday visa for Australia allows you to do just that.
A 1 year visitor visa for Australia is more commonly known as a 12-month tourist visa.
A one year tourist visa for Australia allows you to travel around the country for up to 12 months, without interrupting your stay.
Visitors hoping for an extended stay in Australia (longer than 6 months), who are travelling for the purpose of tourism, are able to apply for a visa that will allow for a stay of up to 12 month with a Australian holiday visa.
If you are a young person looking to work in Australia to help fund your stay, the you should look at the 12 month working holiday visa for Australia.
What does a 1 year visa for Australia allow?
Once your visa has been issued, you will have up to 12 months to enter Australia i.e. up to the anniversary of the issue date.
During this time you may leave and re-enter Australia as frequently as you wish: the visa grant allows for multiple entry. Be aware however you can’t however re-enter after the anniversary of the issue date of your visa.
Once you are in Australia, you are entitled to stay for a period of up to 12 months (from the date you first enter).
To be qualified to apply for an Australian 12 month holiday visa you must agree with the following conditions:
- Your trip must be tourism purposes – working is strictly prohibited! If you are planning a working holiday, please look at the 12 month working holiday visa for Australia instead.
- You must have the capacity to show proof of funds in your bank account. 3 months of bank statements will be required
- If somebody is providing accommodation, their contact details and status in Australia will be required.
- You will be required to show your reasons for leaving Australia, this can be to return to your country of residence for family reasons
- You must not spend longer than 3 months studying while in Australia.*
* If you intend to study for longer than 4 weeks in Australia, you may be required to undergo a chest x-ray examination.
For over 75’s medicals are likely to be requested
Note: If you have criminal convictions to declare, extra costs will be incurred.
Our Visa application Support Service
After you have submitted the application, you will be allocated a named member of our team who will provide expert advice and assistance through the process.
- prepare a checklist of suitable supporting information for your application,
- go though the details with you and advise if anything requires amendment
- prepare the presentation to Australian Immigration
- advise on any queries that occur after the application is submitted
How long does it take to get a 1 year visa for Australia?
The timeline for a 12-month visa application is about 2 – 4 weeks from the time you supply all required supporting information (not from the date of submitting the application).
If further checks are required for medical or police checks, then it will take longer – dependent on the pathway your application takes. There will also be additional fees to pay if there are medicals or police checks. these fees will be payable directly to the appropriate agencies.
If you are planning on travelling to Australia with a criminal record, the process is likely to take considerably longer, and it is likely that if you are granted a visa, it will be for a shorter stay than 12 months. If you do have criminal convictions, you need to follow the visa application process for individuals with criminal convictions